Will my child automatically receive accommodations on college entrance exams?

Posted by:

Not necessarily. You must apply through the organization that provides the testing well in advance of the registration deadline. The school counselor can assist you and your child, but you must initiate the process. In addition, testing organizations have very strict requirements regarding the diagnosis of the disability. It is not uncommon for the documentation that is required by the school for Section 504 eligibility to be different than the documentation that the testing organization requires. The school district is not required to pay for or provide this testing unless it is necessary in order to provide services in the classroom. Therefore, you may be required to obtain additional testing at your own expense. For specific information on the process and requirements, visit www.collegeboard.org &/or www.act.org.