National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.
INTERESTED IN JOINING? COME TO AN INTEREST/APPLICATION MEETING ON EITHER AUGUST 26 BEFORE OF AFTER SCHOOL OR AUGUST 27 BEFORE OR AFTER SCHOOL.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?:
The PHS chapter of the National Honor Society is composed of sophomores, juniors and seniors who achieved membership. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are interested in joining the National Honor Society for the following school year must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum 3.5 cumulative grade point average (Out of 4.0)
- Attended Porter High School for one (1) full semester prior to applying
- Have completed community service in one primary activity in the current school year. Students should note the following about service activities:
- the previous summer is included in the school year, and
- religious activities are not included as community service unless they benefit the community as a whole (e.g., food drives, homebuilding, etc.)
-Submit a completed and full application with required documentation on or before the due date
WHAT ARE THE ONGOING MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS?
NHS members volunteer 24 hours of community service each year, (12 hours per semester) maintain a 3.5 GPA, and continue to demonstrate good character in keeping with the regulations of the school. Aside from one group project per year, students are encouraged to pursue their own individual activities, interests, and passions.
Sponsor: Mr. Timothy Power
Room #: D109