National Junior Honor Society
National Junior Honor Society is an organization which recognizes outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, service, and citizenship. Members have a responsibility to continue demonstrating these qualities and may do so through a variety of projects, fundraisers, and school/community service.
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society is considered an honor. Eligibility in the National Junior Honor Society is based on academic criteria recommended by the National Council of the National Junior Honor Society. To be eligible for membership, the candidate must be enrolled as a member of the 7th grade or 8th grade class at Keefer Crossing Middle School. Candidates shall then be evaluated on the basis of service, leadership, character and citizenship by completing an application shortly after the first nine weeks. Eligibility does not guarantee selection as a member.
7th grade candidates: must have a cumulative scholastic average of at least a 90 at the end of the last semester of 6th grade and also by the end of the first 9 weeks, and have outstanding teacher recommendations.
8th grade candidates: must have a cumulative average of at least a 90 at the end of the last semester of 7th grade, also by the end of the first 9 weeks, and have outstanding teacher recommendations.
Meetings will occur on Friday mornings.
Five Qualities of Membership
Membership is an honor bestowed upon a student. Selection for membership is by majority vote of the faculty council and is based on outstanding scholarship, character, leadership, service and citizenship.
- Scholarship- a commitment to learning and charge to continually expand their world through opportunities inherent in scholarship
- Service- a willingness to volunteer and work for the benefit of those in need without compensation or recognition
- Leadership- an important influence in our school community, self-confidence to go forward when others hesitate
- Citizenship- the responsibility to live up to the laws and guidelines that the founders of our country have given us
- Character- a force within each individual which distinguishes that person from others as they display making the right choices daily