Principal's Message about The Leader In Me
Welcome to Dogwood Elementary School, where every child is a leader. Dogwood Elementary is a “Leader in Me” campus, which means that we not only utilize the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, as outlined by Stephen Covey in his book of the same name, but we also directly teach these habits to our students and incorporate the language of the Habits into our Academic instruction. This process builds personal leadership from within and then develops the habits and skills to be successful publicly. It is amazing to see our students not only learn these Habits but put them to use in their personal lives and become leaders on our campus.
We use a ‘growth mindset’ with students to break old habits and the ‘fixed’ mindsets many have that limit their belief in themselves and their capabilities. Every child can and will learn in their own time.
The 7 Habits are as follows:
- Be Proactive.
- Accept responsibility for yourself and be accountable.
- Begin with the End in Mind.
- Have a goal, any goal, and clearly see and understand what you want.
- Put First Things First.
- Develop a plan with the goal in mind. Plan the steps and resources needed to accomplish the goal.
- Think Win-Win.
- We can accomplish more together. Different ideas when combined can bring about great accomplishments.
- Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood.
- Listen to others without preconceptions, understand their side of an issue, and then work to resolve it together.
- Put all the habits together to create a situation where the sum is greater than the whole.
- Sharpen the Saw.
- Take care of yourself physically, mentally, socially, and spiritually.
If you want to learn more about the 7 Habits, I encourage you to purchase the book at your local bookstore or find more information online. In addition, your children will probably be coming home to teach you about them from time to time. What a great way to spend time with your child.
Welcome to Dogwood,