Welcome to the Department of Special Education
Children are special and so is their education in New Caney ISD.
Our Special Education Beliefs:
- Every Student Can! With proper support and opportunities, we believe that all students can learn and succeed.
- Learning differences and disabilities are to be respected.
- Our parents of children with special needs are viewed as valuable partners.
- Collaboration between special education and general education working together is essential to the success of our students.
- Special education services should Minimize the impact of a disability while maximizing opportunities for students to participate in the general curriculum.
- Empowering special needs students by allowing them to participate in decisions affecting their education.
- Investing in the future of our students by fueling self efficiency and helping them successfully transition into higher education and/or employment.
- Special education staff are valued professional members of a school team.
- Provision of services for students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment (LRE) is a critical component of their education.
- The Admission/Review/Dismissal (ARD) process is used to determine which services a student needs. Parents, teachers, administrators, assessment and other related staff all work together to develop the student's Individual Education Plan (IEP). The ARD process can be found here.