Usually student or parent complaints or concerns can be addressed simply by a phone call or a conference with a teacher. For those complaints and concerns that cannot be handled so easily, the District has adopted a standard complaint policy at Board Policy FNG (LOCAL) in the District’s policy manual. The following are steps to resolve all complaints:
Step 1. Contact the Staff Member
The most direct route to resolving a concern is to confer directly with the person involved, (teacher, coach, etc.) More than 95% of concerns are resolved by a conversation between those involved.
Step 2. Contact the Campus Administrator
The principal and assistant principal(s) are responsible for the school’s operation. Explanations of policies and procedures, various clarifications and all types of campus information are available in campus administration offices.
Step 3. Contact the Student Services Office
The Executive Director of Student Services may be reached at (281)577-8600. This step should be taken only if steps one and two above have not resolved your concern.
At this step you may enter the formal complaint process.
If you have gone through the previous informal steps of problem-solving and have not met a satisfactory conclusion, you may then move into the formal process by filing the Level 1 Parents/Students Complaint form with the campus principal.
After you have gone through the first formal step of problem-solving and have not met a satisfactory conclusion, you may then move into the next formal process by filing the Level 2 Parents/Students Appeal form with the Deputy Superintendent.
Step 4. Contact the School Board
The New Caney ISD school board can be contacted by requesting a hearing through the superintendent’s office. The New Caney ISD Board of Trustees serves as an appeal body in resolving disputes. A school board member must disqualify him or herself at the time of the hearing if he or she has been involved at any stage prior to the hearing.
At this step you may continue in the formal complaint process.
If you have gone through the Level 1 and Level 2 formal steps of problem-solving and have not met a satisfactory conclusion, you may continue in the formal process with the Board of Trustees by filing the Level 3 Parents/Students Appeal with the Superintendent's office.
Some complaints and/or concerns require different procedures as listed below. Any campus office or the Student Services office can provide information regarding specific processes for these complaints and concerns. Additional information can also be found in the designated board policy, available in the principal's and Superintendent's offices or on the District's website at www.newcaneyisd.org.
Specialized policies and procedures exist regarding:
- Identification, evaluation, or educational placement of a student with a disability: policies EHBA and FOE (Notice of Procedural Safeguards).
- Granting a parent's/student's request for a transfer to attend a safe public school: policy FDD (LOCAL).
- Loss of credit because of excessive absences: policy FEC.
- Removal of a student by a teacher for disciplinary reasons: policy FOA and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Removal of a student to a disciplinary alternative education program: policy FOC and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Expulsion of a student: policy FOD and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Discrimination on the basis of gender: policy FB.
- Harassment of a student on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or disability: policy FNCL and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Sexual abuse or sexual harassment of a student: policy FNCJ and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Instructional materials: policy EFA.
- On-campus distribution of non-school materials to students: policy FNAA.
- Complaints against District peace officers: policy CKE.