8 Questions to ask your child about their artwork:
- What can you tell me about your picture? This open-ended question is a great way to get kids talking about their art. It is especially good if you cannot tell what the picture is. Nothing worse than saying, “What a lovely horse,” only to have the child tell you it is supposed to be a dog.
- How did you get the idea for this picture? By explaining the inspiration, the child recognizes his own creative spark and makes the connection from real-life events to artistic creation.
- What do you like about your picture? This question encourages the child to look carefully at his art and make a judgment. More importantly, this question teaches your child to value his own internal validation rather than performing in hopes of gaining the approval of others.
- What title would you give this work? Titles can offer a new dimension to a piece of art. Also, a title encourages your child to think about the main idea or concept of her work.
- Why did you…use brown for the sky? Make the girl so much larger than the boy? Use only the bottom of the paper? Basically, ask why the child decided to draw or color a specific element of the work in a particular way. Make sure your tone is neutral – you are asking for clarity, not judging or criticizing the work.
- How were you feeling when you made this picture? You are asking them to connect emotions with creative expression.
- How do you hope other people will feel when they look at your picture? This allows the child to put himself in another’s position and imagine how his work affects that person. You could also make this question more specific by naming a particular person: How do you think grandma will feel when she looks at your picture?
- If you could make this picture again, what would you do differently? Professional artists often make many versions of the same picture, trying new things, tweaking, and experimenting. Encourage your young artist to do the same.
Noack, C., & Lynette, R. (2009). 8 Questions to Ask Children about Their Art Work. Minds in Bloom. https://minds-in-bloom.com/8-questions-to-ask-children-about-their/.